Thursday, January 27, 2011

Walter Wolfman Wahington

March 5, 2009.

When I first came to New Orleans a little over 20 years ago, I stayed with my sister on Magazine Street, not far from Jefferson. There was a little bar across the street from her house —it may still be there, but I don’t remember the name— where my sister insisted on taking me see this incredible blues musician who played the guitar with his teeth. This was my first introduction to Walter Wolfman Washington.

Walter’s photoshoot was as much fun as Big Al’s, and on top of the smile, I got the dancing! I usually ask the models to wear black, but Walter just doesn’t own any black clothes. Since the wall I found in his mid-city neighborhood was blue, we thought wearing turquoise might be okay. Well, it didn’t work out for the book (I had to remove the colors for the final photo) but here is another one with the blue suit:

No comments:

Post a Comment