Monday, January 3, 2011

How it all started...

About 16 years ago, I was asked by musician Anders Osborne to take the picture for his upcoming CD in front of a weathered wall of the French Quarter. This is the cover of the album, and the wall that started it all:


Once I began paying attention to all the other walls, I became obsessed about finding a way to photograph them. It eventually came to me in a dream state, and after I totally woke up, I called a friend. These are some of the very first pictures I took (these walls were by Tchoupitoulas, and they are all gone now):




Envisioning the project and working on the original pictures was extremely gratifying, on an artistic level as well as an emotional one. I was blessed to live in New Orleans for ten years, and even though I left in 2000, I still feel an organic connection to the city and its people. This book is my way of giving back.

No comments:

Post a Comment