I learned more about the blues from the 20 minutes or so spent with J Monque' D than from the ten years I lived in New Orleans. Well, not exactly (my husband was a street performer playing the blues when I met him 22 years ago — anyone remember the Big Mess Blues Band?), but James lives the blues, in fact, he'll tell you he IS the blues! The man is passionate about it, and I'd say he has quite an intense personality altogether, in a very touching way. The sincerity, the passion with which he shared his story was both surprising and moving. Surprising because I didn't expect to see big tears from this big man, and touching... because I didn't expect to see big tears from this big man! The event that James recounted was still as vivid to him that day in May, 2010 (If you've been following this blog, you already know that the idea to get stories didn't come until later in the project), as when it happened 30 years before. But you'll have to read it in the book!
Monque' D's picture is also one of those that had a detail sneak up on me. Furthermore in this case, I think the detail is what makes the picture. And again, I have to humbly admit it was not intentional. When you get the book (hmm...), look for "eyes" in the wall. I didn't see them when I took the picture, but the weirdest thing is James' expression, and the orientation of his face: he's looking toward the eyes! C.R.E.E.P.Y!! I LOVE it!!!

Eddie Bo's phone call that morning was a relief, as well as a very sweet re-connection. I used to know Eddie when I lived in New Orleans but had lost touch with him after moving to Idaho in 2000. He sounded great, and we made plans to meet two days later at his uptown house.
As for Fats Domino, my Fairy Godmother was working her magic, as she told me to expect a phone call from Fats' daughter, Adonica.

No comments:
Post a Comment