Wednesday, January 5, 2011

David & Roselyn

If you go to New Orleans and wander around the French Quarter, you can't miss David & Roselyn (unless they're playing some festival in France, Germany or else): they are street performers I met about 20 years ago, who must have been playing at least 20 years before that, probably on the same street. They are the first people who posed for the project in September 2008. I was just walking down Royal Street, scouting walls when we reunited (it was as if we had parted just days before — although I hadn't seen them in at least 8 years). Their house flooded during Katrina, and while fixing it, they were staying at a friend's house uptown where they invited me to have breakfast the next day. Since I had just spent four days driving around looking for walls, I had in mind a couple of spots near their temporary neighborhood. The first wall was mostly light pink, and I envisioned them kissing.


The sun was a little too strong, so we walked just around the corner and they started kissing again. However, something happened (that's part of the New Orleans magic...)


The image that ended up in the book shows another much different pose, and I honestly don't remember how it happened!
Once we were done taking pictures, Roselyn suggested I contact Charmaine Neville and gave me her phone number. I called her the next day...

PLEASE NOTE: Unless I change my mind, you will not see online any of the pictures that are in the book (except for the book cover).
Also remember, ALL the pictures in the book are double-exposed, thus giving a new dimension to each photo.

PS: can someone explain to me why David & Roselyn are not on TREME?? They are fantastic!

No comments:

Post a Comment