Sunday, January 30, 2011

Deacon John

March 6, 2009.

Deacon John is one of the funniest people I have met while working on the New Orleans Walls project. The idea of collecting stories from the models actually started in part thanks to him, as it was then that I realized I wasn't JUST taking pictures of all these amazing people.
His photo is one of those where something unplanned happened, something, in fact, it took me weeks to discern! When you get the book, pay attention to the shape of Deacon John's eyes, as well as the shape of the knots in the woods: you may think it was intentional, but I have to admit, that was beyond me. I think the "spirit" of New Orleans had something to do with it! (Interestingly enough, I experienced quite a few of these phenomenons throughout the project...)


That night, I visited Jan Ramsey, and at some point shared with her how worried I was getting about not hearing back from Eddie Bo, even telling her, "I will get really pissed off if anything happens to Eddie before I can get his picture." The strange thing here is that it felt like it was just my mouth saying something that my mind wasn't controlling or believing. Of course Eddie was going to be fine! There are some people I just can't picture being gone.

The next morning, I got a call from Eddie Bo...

No comments:

Post a Comment